Thursday, January 25, 2007

Habitat volunteer opportunity

I remember the first time I was invited to participate on a board committee. It was for Planned Parenthood in Grand Forks, ND and I was the youngest member at 21. I felt like a star and was so proud of the work we did. Sitting on not-for-profit boards of directors is still my favourite volunteer gig. You most often work with smart people who ask (and care) about your opinion. I feel as if I really am changing the world. Maybe this is something you'd like to consider. If so, check this out from one of my colleagues:

Hello faculty,

As a Habitat volunteer, I am forwarding an email I received from the office seeking volunteers for the organization's Public Relations Committee that I hope you will share with your students. This might be a great service-based learning opportunity to incorporate in your teaching, to frame an assignment, or 'tweak' someone's interest to become involved with Habitat on a more permanent basis. The website is http://www.habitathrm.com/ and the contact details are indicated below.

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:19 AM
Subject: Volunteers - PR Committee


> Habitat for Humanity HRM is currently seeking volunteers to sit on the
> Public Relations Committee. The PR Committee works closely with other
> Committees to provide materials such as brochures, fact sheets, and other
> public education material; to schedule and provide media coverage for HFH
> events and activities; to develop a Public Relations Annual Plan; and to
> plan and execute public relations events. The Committee member will
> assist in tasks assigned to the group, such as event marketing and
> promotion, media relations, graphic design and web design & management.
>
> If you are interested in becoming a member of this exciting Committee and
> contributing to the success of Habitat for Humanity HRM, please contact
> Habitat via e-mail at volunteer@habitathrm.com or call 464-0274.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home